Importing Excel Databases Into SPSS
To import an Excel file into SPSS, use the following steps:
- Open SPSS.
- Click on File on the menu bar. Select Open Database and then New Query.
- This will open the SPSS Database Wizard. Select Excel Files from the selection window and click on Next.
- In the ODBC Driver Login window, click on the Browse button.
- Find the appropriate database file and click on the Open button.
- Click OK to the ODBC Driver Login window.
- In the Select Data window, click and drag the appropriate tables from the Available Tables box to the Retrieve Fields In This Order box.
Click Next once all the tables are selected and in the appropriate order.
- This will bring you to the Limit Retrieved Cases window, where you can assign certain conditions to table variables. Fields and functions can be added to an expression by dragging and dropping into an expression cell.
Click on Next once you complete this window.
- This will bring you to the Define Variables window, where you can name the variables in the new SPSS file. Otherwise, SPSS will use the default names of the variables.
Click Next once you complete this window.
- This will bring you to the SQL Query window, where you edit the SQL query string in the editor window.
Click Finish once you complete this window. The Excel file is now open in SPSS.